11.20.2010

.Thanksgiving.


Wow. I somehow find it hard to believe that Thanksgiving will be here in less than a week! Luckily this year we don't have to travel far away to visit relatives. Not that I mind visiting relatives and enjoying their wonderful feast - but having a newborn and a 3 year old in the car for more than an hour is very interesting. ha ha. I sort of like...okay, I love the idea of just being home with my little family. Our plans are to make dinner the day of, watch the Macy's Parade, holiday movies, and after dinner we plan to decorate our townhouse for Christmas. I am so excited! We have a fake Christmas tree - but we are thinking about going to town and picking a real one up. Since it is only $20 dollars for a 6-7' tree. We just need to find a base somewhere.


My sweet little E.J. officially turned 6 weeks old on Wednesday. I can't believe it. Gosh - they grow up fast, don't they? Before I know it my boys will be coming home to tell me they have a girlfriend - then they will graduate college (or whatever the pursue in life) - they will come home and tell me they want to introduce me to the women they want to share the rest of their life with - okay - I need to stop. I am sooooo gonna be in tears here in a second. *sigh* I am savoring every waking hour with these boys. I have realized in the past I took alot of things for granted - including family. With my best friend losing her husband to a car accident almost 2 months ago - I have truly put some things into perspective. I have been digging more and more into the word of God - daily devotions have turned from 10 minutes into hours of reading and studying, and taking notes. I truly want to be more spiritual and have a better, and closer walk with God. I have been a Christian since 1999. I have come in and out of 'peaks' with my spiritual walk. I have never felt more closer to God than I have now - at this stage in my life.


I feel so blessed to have what I have. A loving family, a roof over my head, a car to drive, clothes on my back, and food on my table. What more could I honestly ask of God? Absolutely nothing.


This year - for us - we are celebrating the TRUE meaning of Christmas. That Jesus Christ our Lord was born on Christmas day. We celebrate HIS birthday. We are still decorating for Christmas and truly celebrating like usual - but with more enthusiasm - because now I feel like I'm not a kid anymore. I don't have to have a ton of gifts...not even one for that matter, to make me feel like it is Christmas. Because that is NOT why we celebrate. We aren't getting anyone in our family gifts this year, except for our children, and my best friend and her 2 girls (the one that lost her husband). We will however, give every family member a 'treat bag'. It will include a candy cane, an orange with cloves popped in, and some homemade cookies, and a lovely card. We will be getting our boys 3 or 4 gifts. Our 3 year old will be getting one gift from Santa (which is going to be Olivia's play house set (he reminds us that he wants Santa to bring it to him each time the commercial comes on. ha ha.) My hubby and I plan on getting him a few books from the local bookstore (Richard Scarry, Dr. Seuss, and Olivia...and maybe an Eric Carle). We will fill his stocking with a peppermint stick, an orange, and some little sweeties. Edward, however, is still very young. So we plan to get him a plush toy and a couple of outfits.


Honestly, children these days (in my opinion - no offense to any parents out there, seriously) get too much. Especially at Christmas. The past two years my first born has received enough gifts at Christmas to give 20+ children who are in need a gift of their own. So that is just something we are doing this year. I plan to give my husband one gift - a new coffee maker. He needs one bad. I plan to get him that Keurig one - it is on sale at our local department store. ;) I believe I will be getting bath towels - that is a definite necessity around here! ha ha.


What are some of your favorite traditions? What are you doing different this year? Any NEW traditions being implemented?

No comments:

Post a Comment